Occult Blood in Stool
MCL Procedure for Waived Applications
Back to Home Page
Patient Specimen Collection
- Smear: Using applicator stick provided – collect a small
amount of stool and make a very thin smear in Box A.
- Using the same
applicator, collect another small amount of stool from a different part
of the specimen and apply a very thin smear inside of Box B.
- Allow the smears to
air dry, and then close the cover.
- The test may be stored
for a maximum of 12 days.
- Develop: Open perforated window on the back of the slides and
apply two (2) drops of occult Developer to the back sides of Boxes A and
- Timing: Read after 30 seconds and within 2 minutes.
- Interpretation: Any trace of blue color either on or at the
edge of the smear is positive.
Internal Control Monitor:
- After running patient, add 1
drop of developer to each internal control pad and read after 30 seconds
and within 2 minutes.
- Confirm that the “+” pad reads positive (blue
color) and the “-“pad reads negative (no color).
Record the results:
internal controls pass record in patient’s chart.
Write your name, the date, time and the
patient’s results in the patient’s chart.
Passed “next to the patient’s results in the medical record.
Internal Quality Control Failure:
- Failure of either internal
control invalidates the
- Blue color does not
develop on “+” pad
- Blue color present on “-“ pad
- Record the failure and
corrective action in the patient’s medical record.
- Corrective Action:
- Repeat patient with
new card and new developer using the same lot numbers.
- If internal control
fails again, obtain new lot numbers for the card and developer.
- If the test fails
again, contact the Microbiology Lab (903-4146).